Grand Theft Auto games allow players to create custom appearances and looks. This was possible in GTA Vice City, and this customization was taken a step further in GTA San Andreas. However, the mechanics of modifying character appearance have been perfected in GTA 5. Moreover, the in-game clothing was given special attention. So, if you are worried about learning the clothing mechanics in the game, this guide will help you to change your character’s clothes in GTA 5.
- There are countless clothing options available in GTA 5.
- There are three main methods to change your clothes.
- You can change your clothes using the wardrobe in the safe houses, Interaction Menu, or in-game clothing stores.
- A clothing store contains several clothing categories for your character.
- You can buy clothes from these stores and keep them in your wardrobe.
- You can save these outfits and access them through the interaction menu.
- There are also several hairstyle and headgear stores in GTA 5.
- You can get a new hairstyle or buy face masks and helmets for your character from these stores.
GTA Vice City only had 12 outfits. However, the clothing stores received a significant update in the GTA 5 game. The amount of clothing items in GTA 5 is hard to pinpoint as the game is constantly being added with new updates and new clothing items.
The clothes-changing mechanic can be a little intimidating and maybe a little confusing. Therefore, this guide will help you get a hang of the in-game clothing mechanic.
How To Change Clothes In GTA 5
The player’s appearance and customization are at their best in GTA 5. There are countless clothing options to try on and keep in with Los Santos’s fashion. You can create thousands of different outfits with clothes available in the game.
However, if you are bored of Micheals’s similar suits, Franklin’s green jacket, and Trevor’s white T-shirt. You can change your clothes and slide into something a bit more to your fashion taste.
GTA 5 offers players different methods to change clothes in the game. All of these methods are for the ease of their players. The most obvious place to change clothes is your home or the safe houses you acquire in the game.
There is also a way to modify your clothes using the Interaction Menu. Furthermore, if you are far from your home and want a change, you can always walk into clothing stores spread throughout the map.
Changing Clothes In Safe Houses
This is one of the first methods that most players learn in the game. You can change your clothes in your safe house. Each of the three characters comes with their own safe house.
Micheal’s s safe house is the first one you unlock in the game is a mansion located in Rockford Hills. Meanwhile, Franklins lives in his mom’s house in Vinewood Hills, and Trevor lives inside a trailer in Blaine County. You can also acquire several safe houses spread throughout the open world as a player.
This is how you can change clothes in a safe house:
- Head inside your safe house and make your way to your bedroom.
- In your bedroom, you would need to find your Wardrobe Closet.
- You can identify your wardrobe with the clothes hanging here. You will also see a text message in the top left corner of the screen, ‘Change Clothes’ once you are in your wardrobe.
- Now select the option to open the clothing menu.
- You will see the Clothing Menu in the top left corner.
- Here you can choose from clothes. The options range from entire outfits to individual articles such as tops and bottoms.
- Press the button to select any one of these options. Now you can slide up or down and wear an outfit you want.
- You can also create new outfits with different tops, bottoms, and accessories.
Changing Clothes Using Interaction Menu
This is one of the more straightforward methods to change clothes in GTA 5. This allows you to change clothes from anywhere in the world. However, there are limitations to this method. This method does not allow significant customizations, as you can only alter complete outfits or change headgear. Furthermore, this method works for any character in the game.
This is how you can change clothes in GTA 5 using Interaction Menu:
- Firstly open the Interaction Menu.
- You can do this by pressing the ‘M’ key on your keyboard while playing on a PC. However, if you are on PS4, you would need to press the ‘Touchpad’ on the controller or the ‘View button’ on your Xbox controller.
- You will see an Interaction Menu on the top left corner of your screen.
- Head down to the option that says ‘Inventory’ and select this option. This option can sometimes be replaced with the ‘Style Option’ in different game versions.
- You will see an outfit option here.
- You can switch between your saved outfits by swiping right or left.
Changing Clothes Using A Clothing Store
This might be the most popular method as people often change clothes when they buy them. Clothing Stores are spread throughout the open world of GTA 5.
This makes it, so you are never too far from the next clothing store. You can identify the clothing store with its unique legend on the Map. A T-Shirt on the Map marks Clothing Stores. Some of the most popular clothing stores in GTA 5 are, Ponsonbys, Suburban, and Binco. Just head out to any of these stores to buy and change into new clothes.
These clothing stores offer a wide variety of clothes you can buy for your character. These clothes’ categories and types may vary from store to store. As a result, Suburban offers streetwear and clothes with a modern look. On the other hand, Ponsonbys specializes in classy suits and formal wear; this is great if you are out in town for an event. You can buy accessories such as glasses or jewelry to add to your fashion arsenal.
The general categories available in these stores:
- Tops. This category usually includes T–Shirts, shirts, jackets, and hoodies.
- Bottoms. This category contains pants, shorts, and even skirts.
- Shoes. This category includes boots, sneakers, and sandals.
- Accessories. This category includes hats, sunglasses, and jewelry.
- Outerwear. This category contains jackets and coats.
- Formalwear. This category includes classy suits, tuxedos, and even dresses.
- Sportswear. This category includes athletic wear.
However, it is essential to remember that the categories mentioned are not fixed, and neither are their items. These categories receive constant updates, and newer items are added. You can check out different stores and buy clothes best suited to your taste. You can always put your character in a suit if you feel classy or throw on casual shorts and a shirt for a day at the beach.
The next thing you need to do after entering the store is to buy clothes for your character. It may seem overwhelming initially due to the number of choices, but it gets straightforward once you browse enough and understand different categories. However, it is essential to remember that you would need the in-game money to buy these new clothes.
If you are short on the in-game bucks, you can learn about some of the high-paying best missions in GTA 5 Online for money.
Furthermore, the prices vary from item to item, and some clothing items may be priced higher due to their rarity and uniqueness. The clothes you buy for a character are available in their safe houses and wardrobes, so you can always easily change your look.
This is how you can buy clothes from the store:
- Head out to the clothing store of your choice.
- Enter the clothing store and start browsing.
- Once you get close to a clothing section, you will see an indicator on the top left corner of the screen. For example, if you get close to the pants section, you will see the message on the top left corner, ‘Browse Bottoms.’
- Select this option and access all the clothes in this category. For example, you can find pants and jeans for your character in Bottoms.
- Pick and choose the clothes you want for your character. Then select the clothing item to buy, and it will save itself in your wardrobe.
- Now, these clothing items are available for you in your wardrobe.
You can mix and match different clothes of different categories to create an outfit unique to you. However, you need to save these outfits because it’s lost once you change clothes. As a result, you would need to recreate this outfit again from your wardrobe, and you would need to remember the clothes you selected before.
Although, you can save an entire outfit, so it’s easy to get back into this outfit later. This also allows you to create some of the most unique and creative outfits that you can show off in the game.
This is how you can save an outfit:
- You need to enter a clothing store.
- Select any of the clothing sections when you are browsing.
- You will now see an option, ‘Edit Saved Outfits,’ on the bottom of your screen.
- Select this option and see the Saved Outfits Menu on the top right of the screen.
- Here select an empty slot and save your outfit here. The game will now ask you to name this outfit.
- It’s also better to give a descriptive name to your outfit so you can easily find it later.
- Now your unique outfit is available in your inventory and wardrobe.
Changing Hairstyle And HeadGear
Hairstyle and headgear may differ slightly from your regular clothing, even though you can find some Caps and glasses that are considered headgear in clothing stores. However, there are also some stores dedicated to them exclusively. Some of these stores specialize in haircuts for your character, and some stores are for unique masks.
The in-game store will not disappoint you if you are looking for over-the-top masks. You can head to Vespucci Movie Masks near Vespucci Beach for some of the most creative masks. These masks can add a new look to your character and create a unique look. Vespucci Movie Masks can be found on Map using the Mask Legend.
There are many hairstylists spread throughout the world of GTA 5. However, it is essential to remember that hairstyles vary from one barber to another. These barbers also cost money for your haircuts and add facial hair if needed.
So if you are in the mood for a fresh new hairstyle for your character, this is what you need to do:
- Locate the nearest barber on the Map.
- The Scissors Legend on the Map can identify barbers.
- Head out to these locations and enter the store.
- Then interact with the shop when you see the text, ‘get a haircut or beard,’ on the top left corner of the screen.
- Then you will be given some main categories to choose from. These categories and their options vary from store to store and on different platforms.
- These categories include haircuts, beards, eyebrows, and even face paint.
- Select either of the categories and pick the style you want. However, remember you need to have money for these customizations.
- These changes are saved and can be changed again from a barber store.
Character appearance is a significant part of any game. GTA 5 giving you this much control over your appearance makes it special. The clothing mechanic may seem overwhelming at first. However, it’s very intuitive and innovative.
The aspect of change clothes in GTA 5 makes it an exciting experience to go around town hopping and shopping from one store to another. You are given complete freedom to pick and choose and make outfits that best suit your style. You can permanently save and keep outfits on b for your next night in Los Santos. Therefore, I recommend going out, exploring clothing stores, and filling your wardrobe with the clothes you want.