Grand Theft Auto V also offers an online version with the title GTA Online where you can play with players from all over the world in its vast open world. Since GTA Online is network demanding, running it on a PC, you can encounter many errors. One of the most common errors that the players may face is “Unable to access Rockstar servers. activation of GTA V requires an internet connection“.
This guide covers the complete process of how to fix this issue on your PC using multiple methods.
Best Fix For “Unable To Access Rockstar Servers” Error
Most commonly, this error occurs due to some hindrance in the internet connectivity of the game to Rockstar Social Club servers. Given below is the error prompt that you will most probably see. This guide will provide step-by-step procedures for completely resolving this issue.
You can try the following procedures to fix the “Unable to access Rockstar servers. activation of GTA V requires an internet connection” error.
Advanced Firewall Settings
Sometimes Windows Firewall may be causing a problem for GTA V to connect to the internet. Windows Firewall sometimes renders some software packages untrusted and blocks their access to the internet to prevent the untrusted software packages from downloading harmful files to your PC. It may be one of the reasons why you are having this “Unable to access Rockstar servers.
Activation of GTA V requires an internet connection” error. So to fix this, you need to follow these steps:
- Search for “Windows Defender Firewall” in the Settings
- On the Windows Defender Firewall window, look for “Advanced Settings” in the left pane.
- Open the “Advanced Settings” tab, and in the right pane, look for “Outbound Rules.“
- Click on “Outbound Rules,” and in the Menu, look up “GTA5.exe.“
- Right, Click on any app with names similar to “GTA 5“, “Social Club” or “Rockstar Games” and a menu will appear.
- From the menu, click on “Disable Rule“
Following these steps will most probably resolve the error.
Command Prompt Method
You can also run some commands in the Command Prompt of your Windows to resolve this issue. Just follow these simple steps:
- Search for Command Prompt in the Windows search bar.
- Click on “Run as Administrator“
- Run the command “ipconfig /flushdns“. It will clear your DNS cache.
- Then run the command “nbtstat –RR” to release and refresh NetBIOS names
- Moreover, run “netsh int ip reset ” to reset IP settings
- After this run, the command “netsh winsock reset ” to Reset Winsock Catalog
- Finally, restart your PC.
This screen will appear once you run all the commands. Rebooting your PC will now resolve the issue.
Allow GTA V In The Firewall
Windows Firewall can sometimes consider some of your game files potentially dangerous and block their access to the internet to prevent them from downloading any malicious files to your PC. So if you are facing any problem with your game connecting to the internet, you can try bypassing the Firewall. To bypass the Firewall and let your game files through the Firewall, you need to follow these steps:
- In your Search bar, search for “Allow an app through Windows Firewall.“
- Open the Software, and the following screen will appear
- From the list of software that appears, look up “Grand Theft Auto V” or “Social Club.” Make sure that their respective boxes are checked
- If the game is unavailable in the list, Click on “Allow Another App” in the bottom right corner of the window. The following window will open.
- Click on “Browse” in the window that opens. In the dialog box that opens afterward, browse your game files in the directory you have installed the game and click “Add app.”
These firewall issues might arise if you have installed the cracked game version or modded your game. The firewall will render unofficial game files as harmful, causing connectivity problems. Following these steps will probably fix your “Unable to access Rockstar servers. activation of GTA V requires an internet connection” issue.
Try Using VPN
You may be facing this issue because Rockstar Games Social Club website is blocked in your region and not accessible. To check this, visit this link. If you are seeing the following screen, then the service might be blocked by your ISP.
Simply install a VPN to fix this issue.
Simply connect to the VPN, and you will be able to access the Social Club website and now run your game by logging into your Social Club account. It will most probably fix your issue.
Websites are not only down in real life but can also go down in GTA 5. BAWSAQ is also an online stock exchange featured in Grand Theft Auto V and GTA Online. It can go down due to specific issues. Here is a guide on How to fix BAWSAQ Down for maintenance in GTA V.
Download And Apply The Fix Files
One of the easiest ways that you can try to resolve this issue is to apply the fix file for the error.
You can download the fix file for the error here.
After downloading the fix file, simply copy the file to the directory where you have installed your game.
After copying the file, the game will load without any error, as shown below:
Some independent developers develop this fix. For a video installation guide, refer to this link. This will fix your error, and your game will run just fine.
Some News On GTA VI
With Grand Theft Auto V and GTA Online still ruling the gaming industry even after nearly a decade of their release, Rockstar Games has already started working on GTA VI. It is probably the most anticipated game right now in the whole gaming community worldwide.
Judging from the lengthy period that Rockstar Games is taking in the game development, it is certain that fans will not be disappointed when this banger is released. It will surely be a once-in-a-lifetime gaming experience.
While playing GTA Online, you may encounter many errors with the game. These errors may be due to some problem with your internet connectivity or you having your game files missing or corrupt.
In this guide, we have tried our best to address How to fix the “Unable to access Rockstar servers. Activation of GTA V requires an internet connection” error for GTA Online. We hope this guide proves helpful to you.
What do you think about our guide? Do let us know in the comments.
Now that you are here, why don’t you also check out: GOD MODE GLITCH IN GTA 5